Albany Legislative Coordinator
The Alliance for Quality Education (AQE) is New York State’s lead community-based organization in the fight for high quality public education. AQE plays a leading role in organizing communities statewide and building coalitions to push for key successful reforms, aimed at supporting students and educators, and engaging parents and communities as partners in educational justice. AQE is a statewide coalition that has a major impact on statewide and local education policy whose focus is organizing parents and community members to demand racial and economic justice in education. We are a key player in a larger ecosystem of progressive movement organizations that are building power to transform the political structure of New York State.
This is an exciting opportunity for a person who is committed to racial, economic and social justice and wants to develop strong skills in legislative issue campaigns and advocacy with legislators. The Legislative Coordinator supports and coordinates AQE’s state legislative advocacy work. This includes educating state electeds and other policy makers, researching and developing important advocacy materials, setting up legislative visits, constructing target lists, writing fact sheets and providing other campaign support.
- Play a key role in AQE’s legislative advocacy campaigns, including building connections between organizers around the state and members of the legislature. At times this will include going to community meetings in localities around the state to work directly with grassroots constituencies.
- Conduct extensive direct lobbying activity with state legislators, their offices and other policy makers. Build and maintain these relationships for engagement on a variety of issues and campaigns.
- Actively engage elected officials and other policymakers around AQE’s policy agenda and organizing strategy.
- Create advocacy, organizing and outreach materials as needed and for broad-based distribution;
- Research and compile information about legislation and identify legislative and executive intent.
- Actively monitor the progress of legislative measures.
- Talk to reporters to pitch stories and turn out media for AQE press events.
- Manage coalition legislative targeting and provide regular coalition updates. Work with organizing staff and coalition partners to plan for and execute extensive grassroots lobbying program.
- Collaborate with other organizations to include coalition participation in a variety of actions, including rallies, legislative days, legislative testimony, etc.
- Deep commitment to social justice as demonstrated through activism, organizing, political campaign work or other activity.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years experience in legislative, political, nonprofit advocacy work and/or organizing or activism;
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to work with colleagues, volunteers/interns, coalition partners, legislative staff and others;
- Ability to understand and communicate effectively about policy and advocacy issues;
- Knowledge and interest in politics and the political process;
- Knowledge of and experience with NYS Legislature is helpful.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and be flexible;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Proficiency with Google Suite
- Strong commitment to social justice and organizing to build effective political power
- Experience working in racially, economically and linguistically diverse communities
- Must be highly motivated self-starter who is committed to making a difference and to the success of the project.
- Candidates who are women and/or people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Multilingualism a plus
Other duties and expectations include:
- Take part in weekly staff meetings via conference calls.
- Attend events and actions
- Work evenings and some weekends (This is not a 9-5 job).
- Travel as necessary (position will be based Albany, with possible travel around the state)
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reports to: AQE Policy Director and works in close coordination with AQE Executive Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
For internships, click here.